Are you one of those people who lets their back pain slide? Back pain should not be taken lightly as it can impact every aspect of your life, from work to family and social time. In 2014, back pain made Filipino workers suffer at work more than any other ailment.
Back Pain Facts and Statistics in the Philippines
Before you take steps to treat your back pain, it is best to have a better understanding of the condition. Here are some facts and figures about back pain in the Philippines and worldwide.
- Low back pain is the leading cause of disability around the world.
- As many as 80% of Filipino adults suffer from back pain at some point in their lives.
- Back pain was prevalent in nearly all work industry groups in the Philippines.
- In 2014, 35% of the 85,483 occupational diseases reported in Philippine companies was for back pain.
- 54% of back pain sufferers spend most of their workday sitting
- Back pain affects women more than men, with one-third of adult women suffering compared to 25% of men.
- 50% of women will experience a significant degree of back pain during pregnancy
Practical Tips to Ease Back Pain
According to studies, medication and surgeries do not necessarily provide the positive results that they had been initially thought to. This makes natural methods a better solution in attaining a safe and cost-effective treatment for back pain. To manage your back pain, and relieve your discomfort, follow these tips.
- Stay active and avoid long hours of sitting
- Maintain a balanced diet and healthy weight
- Set up your work desk ergonomically to stop poor posture
- Sleep on a mattress with medium firmness for proper spine support
- Lift things properly – with your legs, not your back, and avoid bending or twisting while holding heavy items
- Choose comfortable, well-fitting footwear without a high heel
- Quit smoking to improve nutrient delivery to the discs and other vital tissues of your spine
Making little changes at a time to your lifestyle (like eating healthy or doing exercises) can add up to a big difference in the health of your spine.
Factors in Assessing Back Pain
Back pain differs from person to person. It can vary in several ways:
- Location – The pain can be central, or felt on the left or right side. It can also be in the low or mid-back.
- Frequency – Back pain can occur all the time, or it can come and go.
- Intensity – The pain can range from a dull ache to a debilitating pain.
- Quality – Back pain presents in different ways, such as dull, sharp, throbbing, or achy pain.
- Timing – Some people experience back pain in the morning when they first wake up. Others feel their back pain get worse as the day goes on.
Chiropractors are experts in treating back pain. However, there is a specific practice in chiropractic care that narrows down the focus to your upper cervical spine – it’s called upper cervical chiropractic. You probably wonder why a chiropractor that specializes in correcting misalignments at the topmost bones of the neck is needed when it is your lower back that hurts. Once you understand how the spine functions, you would realize that it could be the key to long-lasting relief.
How the Neck and Back Are Related
Your spine is a complex structure made up of muscles, bones, and ligaments. It is responsible for protecting the brainstem and the spinal cord. The nerves of the spinal cord are what enables your body to feel, move, and function.
The topmost bone in your spine is called the atlas, and it supports the weight of your head. It is also the most mobile vertebra as it can move and rotate the head in many directions. Because of this and the fact that it has no disc or interlocking joints, the atlas is more susceptible to misaligning. When the atlas misaligns, this puts undue stress to the rest of the body, affecting the spine, shoulders, and hips. This makes abnormal muscle tension from one side of the back to the other and can eventually result in other spinal issues and disc degeneration. Because the whole spine becomes affected, it is possible that the back pain you are experiencing is actually stemming from a problem in your neck area.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic in Filinvest City, Alabang
When you come to N8 Upper Cervical in Filinvest City, Alabang, Muntinlupa, we use imaging and scientific methods to locate your misalignment and address the underlying cause of your back pain and other conditions. We pride ourselves as a reliable Alabang back pain specialist. Instead of adjusting where the pain is, we get to the root of the problem and correct it. If your pain is coming from your mid- or low back, an atlas misalignment could be the culprit. Receiving upper cervical chiropractic care is the solution to get long-lasting freedom from the terrible back pain.
Our upper cervical adjustments are personalized for each of our patients’ needs, making them very accurate, gentle, and designed to hold in place for as long as possible. This is what lets us accomplish successful results without your undergoing costly invasive procedures.